Did you know that you can make coconut yogurt from adding some probiotic capsules?
Some people find success in this method, while others rather prefer the tried and trusted ways of making yogurt using out Symbiota Yogurt Kit.
The advantages of using real yogurt culture is you are getting the strains of bacteria that are specific to yogurt fermentation. However, if you're up for a cheat, your probiotic capsules can often work, yielding a similar tart flavour.
If you're up to give it a go, follow below:
- 3 young coconuts (or 500ml coconut cream)
- 2 dairy-free probiotic capsules
- Fresh berries (optional)
- Break the coconuts and drain the water into a bowl then set it aside.
- Scrape out the coconut and put it in a blender. Add the coconut water and blend until it becomes creamy – it should have the consistency of the regular yogurt.
- Pour the mixture into a glass bowl, then add the probiotic capsules or powder.
- Cover the bowl with cheesecloth (muslin), and secure it with an elastic band. Ferment it for 1-2 days at +-21 degrees Celsius.
- When ready, it should taste slightly sharp without a hint of sweetness.
- Add stevia to taste, and refrigerate.
- Serve with fresh berries and enjoy over the next 7 days.
There are several ways to enjoy your yogurt. Here are a few options:
- You can drink it or use it like in a bowl of cereal).
- Flavored: you can add some fresh fruit to your yogurt for a delicious taste.
- Smoothies: use kefir to add a probiotic punch to your smoothie.
- Dressing: use the yogurt to make a delicious salad dressing.
- Ice Cream: because it’s creamy and rich, freeze it and make ice cream.
- Baked Goods: Great for making moist muffins, crumpets, scones or substituting the buttermilk in any recipe.